23 August 2010

Paris Toute Seule!


            Paris all alone!~  Traveling alone in a country where one is not fluent in the language, etc. is terrifyingly exhilarating.  For example, the taxi driver may not “understand” you even when you hand him a written copy of the address where you need to go, and yet he will drive directly there.  You may stumble out the words, “parlez-vous anglais?” to the attendant at your hostel even though you promised yourself you would not let on in any way except by example that your French was not perfect.  This was the beginning of my day, but even as I spoke terrible French through a sleep-deprived daze, I finally understand that I am HERE, in Paris, France, and my program orientation begins tomorrow!!!  A day alone in a country where one is not fluent in the language is also extremely freeing.  
La Seine
I wandered along the Seine, ate a sandwich and drank an Orangina, passed the peace with people from all over the world at the international mass at Notre Dame, had a gaufre with nutella (similar to a waffle but better), and of course, took “Guillaume’s” advice by wandering the Latin Quarter until I found exactly what he said would be there…a poster advertising a concert at La Sainte Chapelle for tonight.  This cathedral, tucked into the Palais de Justice, is practically built of Stain Glass windows.  Honestly, I didn’t really care what type of music I was going to hear.  I wanted to experience the beauty of the place…and its lovely acoustics.  But I was in for a treat.  “Vivaldi: Les Quatre Saisons, “ (the four seasons) read the sign, performed by “Classik Ensemble” with a violin solo by David Braccini.  The music was of course beautiful in itself, but in my much less than expert opinion, it was performed sublimely as well.  Some pieces were joyful jaunts and some were pining soliloquies, and some were combinations of the two as well as quietly joyful melodies—illustrations of love and/or life, as much excellent music is.
David Braccini and Company
            And it was all the better not only because of the fantastic student discount but also because I enjoyed it with new friends—a couple from Australia and their cousin, who is French!  The two Australians have been to Mali, and as I am going to study the healthcare system there (among other things) next semester, I was extremely intrigued when they began an in-depth discussion of just that.  Apparently Mr. Awesome Australian man came down with a mild autoimmune (but easily treatable) disease that develops from the flu while he was there, and the doctors were entirely clueless.  When he went to London, the first doctor he saw, along with a colleague, made the correct diagnosis on the first try.  However, Mali apparently offers some of the best treatments for Malaria.  Their French cousin proceeded to give me her e-mail address and told me that if there is ANYTHING I need, to please let her know.  She was worried that I was so young and so American, wandering around Paris by myself.  There is of course an element of truth to that.  I am working on being extremely alert to any and all risks, but things will always happen will traveling.  On my way back to the hostel, a young man asked if I would like to have a “balade” with him, implying, I am certain, more than a “stroll.”  He was entirely too polite, but I matched him with the polite excuse that I have a boyfriend already (but I do not).  Oh the joys of being unknown in a new place.  Bon nuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment