18 October 2010

reconductable

able to be rerouted... or redone~ Katie shared this perfectly pertinent word with me today, explaining that it often describes anything and everything related to the movement of the moment in France: strikes, blockages, manifestations, etc., in that the people will continue (in whatever manner necessary) to fight for what they believe until the government listens.  What is reconductable in my vie quotidienne?

1) Given that another "blocage" began in mid-afternoon, the president evacuated the university... completely confused, my literature professor (who I adore...and who is very French) said, "but what am I going to do about the test today?"  I suggested she e-mail us her instructions, and she may actually do it- quelle surprise!  I am still getting used to the fact that there is a 99% chance my professors will NOT respond when I send an e-mail.

2) Given the train strike and fuel shortage, one out of two trains are running normally.  That should be interesting for the upcoming fall break...

3) Periodically the buses stop running without warning- thus my little adventure the other night after Bible study; Julia (another American student) and I found ourselves stuck in the centre ville (city center) with no buses, thus we took the metro back to the university and had some of the kind French students from our Bible study drive us home.
French red coat...adventuring in Cornuaille (the very "breton" part of Bretagne) before the strikes began in full!!!

Yes, the movement against retirement reform is going strong- in years past apparently the blockages went on for months, and the part of the university for international students relocated to cafés, bedrooms, and parks.  We shall see, but I find myself moving a bit deeper into French culture every day, wandering around in a French red coat and my first ever boots, speaking (half the time to myself) the language, going to the post office, pushing my little host sister in her stroller to the grocery store, studying literature and feeling tentatively eloquent, laughing, loving, living- discovering all the parts of language that are common to us all.  Above all, I find it encouraging that my fellow students, their parents, their grandparents- everyone, really, takes an interest in the political climate of their country.  Apathy is certainly not my first impression or my more refined conception now of this country.  Are the protesters right?  According to my host father, no- the government is going to run out of retirement money in three years if the retirement age stays the same.  But I am (again) tentatively fascinated by the intense interest in the issue that surrounds me every day.  First and foremost a student, however, I can't help but prefer that the strikes stay outside the university.  I can walk if I have to...

No comments:

Post a Comment